Thursday, May 22, 2008

Time for a Haircut!

So, since we didn't get a chance to blog last night, I figured that I would try and post a bit here while Dave and Jonatan take a nap!

I will start by saying that last night we had a wonderful time with Lucia and Andres at a local restaurant. Jonatan had a hard time enjoying dinner...we are thinking that part of the problem was that he had just awoken from a much needed nap, although the nap was not at the time he is used to taking them since we were out picking up his visa and Colombian passport at the US Embassy during the afternoon. Secondly, the restaurant was busy and he seemed a bit overstimulated with everything. One of the waiters had come over and helped to get him in a high chair...well, Jonatan was having none of it. (Although, in his defense, he has only used a booster seat with us while at El Cortijo and is now sitting on one of our laps here at Zuetana.) There was a live musical group that played wonderful music. This seemed to grab Jonatan's attention as he loves to dance...Lucia wanted to take him up front to see the musicians up close, although he was insistent that it needed to be Papa or Mama.

We enjoyed a nice dinner of baked potato, steak, salad, empanadas, fried banana or sweet plantain (not sure), and another side that I forget the name of (made of corn flour...I will have to ask Dave when he gets up). At the end of dinner, the waiter gave us some customary candy...and, in a bad turn of judgement, I gave one to Jonatan..thinking that it would be ok to give it to him if he simply sat on my lap so I could supervise him and make sure he didn't choke on it, rather than running around and increasing that likelihood...I proceeded to share with Lucia that hard candy and young children make me nervous as I had seen my niece (yes, that means you, Taylor) when she was younger choke on a piece of hard candy...and that happened to have been the first time I ever had to use the infant heimlich maneuver....well, wouldn't you know, Jonatan started to choke on that piece of candy just as I was sharing this! Ugh! Fortunately, a few whacks on the back caused him to cough it up, followed by a bit of shock and a few tears on his part, then all was fine...needless to say, I have decided that he will not have hard candy for another 20 or so years! It has been quite some time since I felt my heart almost leap out of my chest! It was a poor decision...one that will not be repeated any time soon. A disclaimer for new parents...choose the mini-tantrum, sad face, and curled pouty upper lip as opposed to trying to allow something that you know should be postponed for a later age.

I am posting out in one of the sitting areas and do not have our camera with me, so we will have to wait on the pictures. The day has been a bit overcast here and, now, as I write this it is down-pouring! I haven't mentioned the rain in Bogota yet, but will say that it is pretty incredible! The other night I awoke to the rain...one moment it was raining cats and dogs (as we would say back home), the next moment there was nothing...I lay there in bed imagining God turning some grand storm faucet on and off. It was so strange as this continued for some time.

And, lastly, I should mention that we thought it would be better to get Jonatan's hair cut here before we leave to return home. It has gotten fairly long...his little curls are getting a bit out of control and he is only so tolerant of Mama chasing him down with a brush or comb! LOL! So, this afternoon, we are going to take an adventure to one of the salons that specializes in cutting children's hair...hopefully we will get some fun pics to share with everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you knew what to do and responded so quickly to Jonatan choking. You might want to add nuts to your list of taboo foods for the next 20 years. LOL I hope Jonatan enjoys his haircut. We can't wait to see the three of you.
With love,
Mom

Simek's said...

You are too much! If I'm not mistaken you were just telling that story last time we talked...LOL Well I'm glade he is fine and you are making a list for the future. I hope Jonatan likes his first haircut and it's fun!!

Love you all,
Jenny

Adelman said...

Coming home VERY SOON! Sorry we have been playing blog catch up tonight! I hope you have a perfect flight and that Jonatan has a fun airplane experience. We look forward to catching up with you guys in the coming weeks as you settle into your home!

I'm happy to hear you guys cracked a smile with the U.S. Embassy doctor. The Derrs have the magic touch!
LOL...

here's to safe and speedy travels home as well as a seamless transition for Jonatan!

Debi